This webinar took place on February 27, 2018
About the Webinar
Organic growers rely on the many services biodiversity provides, but knowing where to find accessible information can be challenging. This webinar will provide an overview of three tools to help you identify and manage wildlife, with an emphasis on wild birds. Online tools covered will be the Merlin Bird ID app, the Habitat Network, and the Cool Farm Tool. There will be an extended 30 minute question and answer period at the end.
- The Merlin Bird ID app can be used to identify common birds of North America by answering a series of questions expert birders would use when identifying species. The app is currently only available for Android and iPhone, but a desktop version is available here.
- The Habitat Network is a citizen-science project that has farmers, and others, submit data through online mapping and connects them with detailed information about how to support biodiversity.
- The Cool Farm Tool Biodiversity metric quantifies how well farm management supports biodiversity for eleven species groups in temperate areas of Europe and North America. The tool boils complexity into a series of multiple choice questions, scored according to the latest research and expert judgement. Find it at https://coolfarmtool.org/coolfarmtool/biodiversity
This webinar is brought to you by the NIFA OREI funded project: Avian Biodiversity: Impacts, Risks and Descriptive Survey (A-BIRDS).
- Miyoko Chu, Senior Director for Communications, Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Cornell University
- Rhiannon Crain, Project Leader, The Habitat Network, Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Cornell University
- Lynn Dicks, Cool Farm Tool, University of East Anglia
- Olivia Smith, PhD Student, Washington State University
- System Requirements